[Bbob-discuss] Request for BBOB algorithms.

Nikolaus Hansen Nikolaus.Hansen at lri.fr
Tue Feb 28 13:55:16 CET 2012

Hi Petr,

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 09:54:41 +0100, Petr Pošík <posik at labe.felk.cvut.cz>
wrote:

> Hi Olivier.
>

> Regarding the running time: you are right that the graphs produced by
> BBOB
> postprocessing do not show the running time. Nevertheless, the BBOB
> methodology suggests (requires?) to run also a timing experiment to

yes, it is a requirement, not a suggestion.
(http://coco.lri.fr/COCOdoc/bbo_experiment.html)

> indicate
> the wall-clock time needed to find a solution. (See e.g. the
> exampetiming.m
> file). In the first BBOB issue in 2009, almost all papers actually
> contained
> the information about the time requirements of the algorithms. In 2010,
> I am
> not that sure...
>

> So, the questions are:
>
> - Should the BBOB methodology be modified to really REQUIRE the info
> about
> the time demands of the algorithms?

+1 for me. Well, it's not a modification, it's just keeping the demand.

> - Should/can the COCO framework be modified to do this more
> automatically?

undecided. Looks pretty automatic to me already. Some authors actually
presented results for larger dimensions than requested, which we might
discourage making it more formal.

> - Should the time demands be more emhasized in the latex templates?

undecided. There could be an empty paragraph with two sentences explaining
the experiment just such that it is harder to forget.

Cheers,
Niko

--
Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you
are the easiest person to fool. So you have to be very careful
about that. After you've not fooled yourself, it's easy not to
fool other[ scientist]s. You just have to be honest in a
conventional way after that.
                                     -- Richard P. Feynman

Nikolaus Hansen
INRIA, Research Centre Saclay – Ile-de-France
Machine Learning and Optimization group (TAO)
University Paris-Sud (Orsay)
LRI (UMR 8623), building 490
91405 ORSAY Cedex, France
Phone: +33-1-691-56495, Fax: +33-1-691-54240